Vehicle registration is an essential process that every vehicle owner must go through. Whether you are registering a new vehicle or transferring ownership, understanding the registration procedure is crucial.
In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of vehicle registration in Ghana. From the required documents to the registration by an authorized agent, we will cover it all. So, let’s dive in!
Registration by Vehicle Owner
If you are registering a vehicle in Ghana, the following documents need to be submitted:
- Customs documents
- Two recent colored passport size pictures of the owner
- Positive personal Identification Card (Driving License, Voter’s ID, Passport, National ID, and NHIS ID)
Registration by an Authorized Agent
In case you are unable to register the vehicle yourself and need an authorized agent to do it on your behalf, the agent should provide the following additional documents:
- Power of Attorney from the owner (Authority note)
- Positive ID card of the authorized agent
- Two passport size pictures of the authorized agent
The vehicle registration procedure involves several steps. Let’s take a closer look at each one:
- Vehicle Examination: Begin by presenting your vehicle for examination at a vehicle inspection center. This step ensures that your vehicle meets the necessary safety standards.
- Customs Authentication: Present your vehicle, along with the customs documents, to the Customs Officer for authentication. This step verifies the legitimacy of the vehicle.
- DVLA Inspection and Processing: Present all the required documents to the DVLA officials for inspection and processing. This step involves verifying the authenticity of the documents and ensuring compliance with the registration regulations.
- Payment of Fees: Pay the prescribed fees based on the cubic capacity or tonnage of your vehicle. The fees may vary depending on the type and size of the vehicle.
- Form A and VRC Completion: Acquire Form A and Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) to complete. Affix your photograph and sign the appropriate places as instructed.
- Form Submission: Return the completed forms to the DVLA for further processing. The DVLA will review your application and perform the necessary checks.
- Registration Number and Number Plate: Upon approval, the DVLA will assign a unique registration number to your vehicle. You will be issued a number plate that corresponds to your registration.
- Roadworthiness Certificate: Obtain a roadworthiness certificate in addition to your copies of registration documents. This certificate ensures that your vehicle is in a safe and roadworthy condition.
If you wish to have a personalized number for your vehicle, you need to follow these additional steps:
- Application Letter: Write an application letter stating your proposed personalized number, vehicle chassis number, and current registration number.
- Submission: Submit the application letter along with the required documents to the DVLA for review and consideration.
- Approval and Assignment: If your application is approved, the DVLA will assign the personalized number to your vehicle.
Registering your vehicle is a legal requirement in Ghana, and it is essential to follow the proper procedure to ensure compliance. By understanding the steps involved and gathering all the necessary documents, you can smoothly navigate through the registration process. Whether you are a vehicle owner or an authorized agent, this guide provides you with the information needed to complete the registration successfully. So, get your documents ready, follow the steps outlined, and enjoy the benefits of a legally registered vehicle in Ghana.